Science Will Win is a podcast that takes listeners under the microscope of some of the most promising medical innovations, exploring therapies that have the potential to shape the future of healthcare and offer new hope to patients around the world. Through conversations with a diverse line-up of guests, including scientists and experts, patient advocates, and, most importantly, patients themselves, each miniseries will focus on a unique healthcare challenge, diving into the fascinating science, policy challenges, and potential to transform patients’ lives for the better. Science Will Win is hosted by Adam Rutherford, geneticist, writer, broadcaster, and lecturer at University College London. This podcast is powered by Pfizer.
- Part 1: Breast Cancer: The Science, The Challenges, The SolutionsOncologists have more innovative methods for treating breast cancer than ever before. In part one of this two-part series, Adam Rutherford and guests explore the hurdles and successes researchers face as they work to develop new, targeted therapies for breast cancer.
- Part 2: Clinical Trials: Bringing Research to LifeIn part two of this series, Adam Rutherford and guests break down the next step in how potential breast cancer treatments move forward from the lab. What role do clinical trials play in the development of potential treatments? How are clinical trials developed? How can patients access clinical trials? And how are researchers and advocacy groups working to break down barriers in access to clinical trials?
- Coming Soon – Science Will Win, Season 2Host Adam Rutherford returns to explore breakthroughs in oncology, the study and treatment of cancer, and more specifically breast cancer. We’ll hear from the scientists tasked with developing new treatments, oncologists who lead clinical trials and treat patients, and the patients and patient advocates themselves. It’s a groundbreaking time for cancer research, with as many promising possibilities as there are challenges to overcome. Tune in to this new, two-part series, launching October 27, 2022!
- BONUS – Into the Pfizer Lab: Making a Gene TherapyIn this special bonus episode, Adam Rutherford explores a different aspect of gene therapy - how do you actually make one? Expert guests discuss the highly complex task of scaling-up manufacturing from the small amounts needed for research, to creating batches big enough for clinical and commercial scale. And once that hurdle has been cleared, how do they address the additional challenge of storing and transporting the medicine at ultra-low temperatures?
- What’s Next For Gene Therapy?Gene therapy is at a pivotal moment. For eligible rare disease patients, the potential impact could be huge. So how can we support that potential to fruition and what will it mean if we do? In our season finale, host Adam Rutherford and guests take a peek into what a world with successful gene therapies could look like for patients, healthcare and society.
- The Policy PuzzleAs with any new breakthrough medicine, entering the healthcare system comes with a host of obstacles and potential barriers. In this episode, Adam Rutherford and guests break down the big changes needed within the global healthcare ecosystem to ensure that, once approved, the therapies we’re researching now, like gene therapy, reach the patients who need them.
- Clinical Trials: Courage and PerseveranceGene therapy has come a long way to get where it is today but there is still much to learn and investigate. Host Adam Rutherford speaks to a line-up of experts about the vital role of clinical trials and the unique challenges facing gene therapy and rare disease patients.
- Gene Therapy – Behind the ScienceGene therapy is a revolutionary field of science that has the potential to transform lives. It presents this big question; What if we could treat a disease at its root cause, rather than just the symptoms? On the first episode of Science Will Win, host Adam Rutherford takes us through the history, science, and significance of gene therapy.