Food culture in Australia is unique and revered. With an abundance of amazing chefs and venues, Australia is on the cutting edge of food culture, globally. Join us as we chat about the realities of the food and hospitality industries. We dive deep into worlds behind the pass, on the farm, or in the office - exploring what makes our food world tick. Hosts Stef Posthuma (Quicksand Food) and Simon Evans (Caveau Restaurant & Night Parrot Bar & Kitchen) chat with a host of industry professionals to lift the lid on all things food.
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.
- Death To Jar Sauce w/ Nat's What I ReckonNat's What I Reckon has taken social media by storm with his funny, irreverent cooking videos. He joins us to chat about his journey into the world of social media, and about the thought behind is war on jar sauce and packet food. His new book is Death To Jar Sauce. See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.
- Worlds 50 best restaurants and NYC hat rules feat. Casey WallCasey wall from Bar Liberty joins Simon and Stef for a chat about the recently released 50 best restaurants list, Melbourne becoming the most locked down city in the world and how NYC health laws have influenced Casey's fashion decisions ..... See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.
- Kitchens, Gardens & Community W/ Paul WestThis week Stef speaks with chef, gardener, TV presenter and all round good bloke Paul West from River Cottage Australia. They talk about Paul's time in the Melbourne hospitality scene at Vue De Monde, his transition into farming, his experience filming River Cottage Australia, as well as his advocacy for produce growing, home cooking and participating in a local food community. See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.
- Stock Takes Feat. Andy Burns (Babyface Kitchen) - Martin Benn Leaves Society, Re-Opening & More!For this weeks episode Stef and Simon bring on their old mate Andy Burns from Babyface kitchen to discuss this weeks hard hitting hospitality news. They talk about Martin Benn and Vicky Wild leaving society restaurant after only 5 services, The issues being faced by restaurants gearing up to re open, how Wollongong's changing demographic will affect the dining scene as well as some laughs, tips and tricks along the way! See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.
- Stock Takes Ft. Sam Payne - Scathing Reviews, Noma's Third Star & More!We’re back with another awesome stock takes chat – joined by wine pro, writer, friend of the show and absolute legend Sam Payne. We talk John Lethean's scathing review of Perth’s Heritage Wine Bar, Noma’s third Michelin star and a bunch of other crap. See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.
- Stock Takes: Aria's Antivaxx Trolls, Charcoal Fish Opening & More!Another hard hitting current food affairs show where Stef and Simon discuss the antivaxx bombardment of the Aria comments section as well as speculate on what Charcoal Fish is going to look like when it opens on Wednesday - and the usual insta fodder to round out the latest instalment of The Food Fight: Stock Takes. See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.
- Stock Takes: Eleven Madison Goes Vegan, New Chef Award & More!More stock takes fun! Is Eleven Madison Park going vegan good? The new chef award and Basque cheesecake goes viral! All this and more on this new episode of your favourite food pod. See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.
- Musing on Regional Food w/ Josh Gregory - Muse KitchenSimon takes this one solo and is joined by fellow regional food champion Josh Gregory - head chef at Muse Kitchen in the Hunter Valley. Josh is a Hunter native and has spent his life in regional kitchens. He shares his story, his passions and some ideas about why a regional career is so different from a city-based one. See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.
- Stock Takes: Is Jock Lying? Golden Century Closes & More!A new kind of episode - Stock Takes is here! Simon and Stef give their takes on the biggest news in food and hospitality. We also talk about stuff we're seeing on Instagram and give some hot tips on how to cook and dine. See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.
- Growing Veggies & Why Its Awesome w/ Fraser Bayley - Old Mill Road BioFarmEver thought about being a farmer? Have you envisaged that tree change with a rich plot on which to grow, a farmers market and kids helping pull carrots from the ground? Sounds idyllic right? Well according to Fraser Bayley from Old Mill Road BioFarm in Turlinjah on the NSW South Coast - it kinda is... but its also bloody hard work. He joins Stef to chat about the journey. See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.
- The UK Variant w/ Gareth Saywell - Orasay LondonSimon takes over the pod for this chat with his old friend Gareth Saywell, head chef at Orasay Restaurant in London's Notting Hill. They talk about Gareth's career and discuss the experience and response to Covid in the London hospo scene. See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.
- Eyes on the Pies w/ Hayden Bridger - Hayden's PiesHayden's Pies in Ulladulla is one of the most well know pie shops in NSW, if not the country. With Stef still on the South Coast, its the perfect opportunity talk to the larger than life man behind the pies - Hayden Bridger. See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.
- Small Bites: Covid, Reviews & Home CookingThe State’s in lockdown, hospitality is being shattered, again. How is this lockdown impacting hospo? As much as we try to avoid it we’re back on the Covid train for this episode. We also chat Simon’s recent review and give some home cooking tips and cheat codes to help get you through this lockdown. See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.
- Changing Australian Oyster Culture w/ Steve Feletti – Moonlight Flat OystersSteve Feletti’s Moonlight Flat Oysters were the first on Australian menus sold by the piece. His dedication to quality has helped changed oyster culture and have made his Claire de Lune, Moonlight Kiss and Rusty Wire oysters some of the most recognisable and revered in the country. His newest venture – “Borrowed Cuttings” wine was […] See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.
- Aboriginal Cultural Fishing Rights w/ Wally Stewart & Andrew NyeFishing has been a way of life for the Yuin People of the NSW South Coast for thousands of years. This culture is being compromised by government agencies who fail to recognise the registered Far South Coast Native Title claim – resulting in a range of devastating impacts. For a special NAIDOC week episode of […] See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.
- The Ducks Hunter w/ Mark Labrooy – Three Blue DucksThree Blue Ducks went from a small cafe in Bronte to nationally recognised brand spanning seven venues in three states across wildly unique locations. We catch up with one of the founders, Mark Labrooy for a candid chat about the evolution of the business, how the partnership dynamics work, how its balanced with family life, […] See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.
- Small Bites – FoodstagramAdmit it. You have Instagram and you spend way too long on it scrolling through food content. Its ubiquitous in the food world and is now unavoidable and extremely important for any chef or hospitality owner. For this small bites episode of The Food Fight Simon and Stef dive into all things Instagram. See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.
- Confronting the Challenges w/ Wes Lambert – Restaurant & Catering AustraliaThe hospo industry is all but broken in the number of challenges we face. Restaurant & Catering is the country’s leading advocacy and support body for the hospitality industry in Australia. They provide guidance and support in addressing the many challenges facing the industry and lobby on issues like skills, liquor laws, migration and fair […] See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.
- The Veggie Masterchef w/ Simon TooheySimon Toohey is one of Masterchef’s most recognisable figures – going through two seasons with a goal to embrace and champion vegetables throughout his cooking. In this candid discussion we talk about the realities of the show, his background in cocktail bars, how he fell in love with veggies, his channel 10 show Freshly Picked […] See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.
- New Good Food Guide, Who Dis? w/ Myffy RigbyLike everything else, Covid smacked the Good Food Guide in the face in 2020. It forced the halt of scoring restaurants, and the publication of the guide itself. For this episode with do deep with the guide’s editor Myffy Rigby about the impacts of Covid and the wealth of changes brought to this year’s new […] See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.