Buzzcast is a roundtable discussion about podcasting from the people at Buzzsprout. We'll cover current events and news, podcast strategy, tools we are using, and dip into the Customer Support mailbag to test our podcasting knowledge. If you want to stay up-to-date on what's working in podcasting, Buzzcast is the show for you.
Value for Value ⚡️
- Buzzsprout Turns 13 + New Apple Podcasts Updates + Spotify Snuffs Out App Developers + Podcasts Now On Vinyl!🎉 Happy Birthday, Buzzsprout! In this episode, the hosts take a look back on some funny moments in Buzzsprout's history, review the latest and greatest Apple Podcasts updates, discuss the dilemma of businesses relying on Spotify, and decide whether or not vinyl is a viable product for podcasters.NEW APPLE PODCASTS UPDATEShttps://podcasters.apple.com/4359-ios-16-whats-new-for-apple-podcastsThe new iOS 16 update comes with some great updates for Apple Podcasts! We really like the updated Now Playing screen, Sleep Timer, and Live Captions. However, with the update including the removal of podcast title in the Browse section, be sure that your podcast title is clear on the cover artwork. Buzzsprout's Artwork Resources: How to Design Stunning Podcast ArtworkYouTube Cover Art PlaylistBEST PODCAST SEARCH ENGINEShttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7bYXS6bA9IJustin Jackson, founder of Transistor, posed the question "is podcast search broken?" & did some digging. SPOTIFY CHANGING BUSINESS MODELhttps://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2022-09-08/a-swedish-company-aims-to-spend-millions-acquiring-indie-podcast-networksSpotify pulled the plug on the use of their API for apps. PODCASTS ON VINYLhttps://www.insideradio.com/podcastnewsdaily/luminary-makes-dave-chappelle-s-the-midnight-miracle-podcast-available-on-vinyl/Luminary created a limited edition vinyl of Dave Chappelle's The Midnight Miracle podcast. BUZZBOOSTSThanks for the boosts!@georgdahm@pocketparley@meremortalspodcast@andyflatteryDave JacksonTom Raftery - Let the riches roll in! https://w
- YouTube and Twitter and Crickets, Oh My! + New Apple Podcasts Subscriptions Charts + Joe Rogan Not Recommended by SpotifyIn this episode, the hosts recount their week in Dallas for Podcast Movement, review Apple Podcasts' new subscription charts, weigh in on the new Twitter & YouTube podcast announcements, and discuss Dan Misener's findings after mapping out the Spotify podcast recommendations.PODCAST MOVEMENThttps://podcastmovement.com/Crickets aside, it was a good time! NEW APPLE PODCASTS CHARTShttps://podcasters.apple.com/4085-introducing-new-apple-podcasts-chartsThe latest charts from Apple Podcasts allow listeners to browse the top 100 shows and channels with a subscription. YOUTUBE PODCAST LANDING PAGEhttps://techcrunch.com/2022/08/22/youtube-launches-a-dedicated-podcasts-homepage-for-u-s-users/TWITTER PODCASTShttps://blog.twitter.com/en_us/topics/product/2022/listen-up-podcasts-are-coming-twitterSPOTIFY RECOMMENDATIONS https://wearebumper.com/blog/2022/08/22/spotify-episode-recommendation-algorithm/Interactive version of map: https://wearebumper.com/features/spotify-podcast-recommendations/Alban (45%), Kevin (36%), Jordan (19%)Buzzcast is hosted by Alban Brooke @albanbrooke, Kevin Finn @kfinn, and Jordan Blair @jordanpodsThanks for listening and keep podcasting!
- 90's Televangelist AestheticIn this episode, the hosts discuss how podcasts are transitioning from pay-to-play to pay-to-work, find a bug in Apple's new social card updates, try some new angles with Riverside's updated features, praise the Shameless Acquisition Target podcast, and Kevin drops a bombshell that doesn't quite land.PODCAST PAYOLAhttps://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-03/podcast-guests-can-pay-big-money-to-be-on-top-showsPodcasters charging guests for appearances could be in violation of FTC guidelines. PODCAST INTERNSHIP RE-BRANDhttps://thisisthesqueeze.substack.com/p/unpaid-internship-rebrands-as-a-4000?utm_source=emailUnpaid internship rebrands as a training that charges $4000 to take part in. APPLE PODCASTS SOCIAL CARDSAbout: https://podcasters.apple.com/support/4039-apple-podcasts-social-post-generatorSocial Post Generator: https://tools.applemediaservices.com/apple-podcasts-promoteShare card customization appears differently based on if a show is charting, has podcast subscriptions, etc. NEW RIVERSIDE FEATURESSecond Camera Angle: https://support.riverside.fm/hc/en-us/articles/5767459419549-Use-Mobile-Device-as-Second-Camera-AngleLive Call-In: https://support.riverside.fm/hc/en-us/articles/5287448939549-Riverside-Live-Call-In-Overview-PODCAST MOVEMENT 2022https://2022.podcastmovement.com/Buzzsprout will be there! Come to our booth to sign up for the pop-up party & play Mic or Mike? for the chance to win a super cool Buzzsprout tshirt!Join the Podcast Movement Discord: https://discord.gg/aCd4VcAPTHE JERKY BOYS SHOWhttps://soundc
- Armchair Treasure HunterIn this episode, the hosts plan a Podcast Movement pop-up party, embark on a digital treasure hunt, discuss BJ Novak's new podcaster movie, decide that The Jerky Boys were the first podcasters, and give an exciting Buzzsprout Ads update.PODCAST MOVEMENT 2022https://2022.podcastmovement.com/Buzzsprout will be there! Come to our booth to sign up for the pop-up party & play Mic or Mike? for the chance to win a super cool Buzzsprout tshirt!X MARKS THE SPOT PODCASThttps://www.xmtspodcast.com/A 9 episode series about Forest Fenn, a man who hid a 12th century bronze chest with $2 million worth of treasure somewhere in the Rocky Mountains in 2010. The twist? X Marks The Spot podcast is hosting their own digital treasure hunt worth $50k.AMAZON MUSIC STATShttps://podcasters.amazon.com/Connect to their podcaster dashboard to see their new metrics.VENGEANCEhttps://youtu.be/1GT1jFsNnPwhttps://www.focusfeatures.com/vengeanceThe "directorial debut" film from BJ Novak about a journalistic podcaster who investigates the death of a girl he was dating. In theaters July 29th. PODNEWS SPAMTRAPhttps://podnews.net/article/podcast-industry-biggest-spammerIn May, James Cridland updated the RSS Feed for PodNews with trackable email addresses and revealed who the top spammers in the industry were. Spam results list:https://podnews.net/article/spammersWHO WAS THE FIRST PODCASTER?https://podnews.net/article/robin-williams-podcastArticle by James Cridland The Jerky Boyshttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jerky_BoysWho Let The Dogs Out Documentaryhttps://www.hulu.com/movie/who-let-the-dogs-outBuzzcast is hosted by Alban Brooke @albanbrooke, Kevin Finn
- Stranger Than FanfictionIn this episode, the hosts discuss "The Standards Innovation Paradox", weigh the pros and cons of multiple Facebook profiles, wonder at fanfiction about podcast hosts, and the truth is revealed about which one is an internet creep.ACAST & PODCHASER🎉 Congrats to both!https://podnews.net/press-release/acast-podchaserDeal totals $34 million ($27.2 million initial & $6.8 million earn-out clause). Podchaser will operate as a separate brand and independent business. Will give Acast's advertisers better data to target ads. THE PODCAST QUIZhttps://podcastfont.com/Quiz.htmlPODDLEhttps://poddle.podchaser.com/HEARDLEhttps://www.spotify.com/heardle/THE STANDARDS INNOVATION PARADOXhttps://mignano.medium.com/the-standards-innovation-paradox-e14cab521391The Standards Innovation Paradox is a blog post written by Michael Mignano about the trade-off of finding an audience quickly vs innovative development. FACEBOOK TESTING MULTIPLE PROFILEShttps://www.theverge.com/2022/7/14/23219030/facebook-multiple-profiles-meta-active-usersFacebook will allow some users to have multiple profiles as part of a test. Up to five profiles per accountCan use fake names for the extra profilesIf any one profile violates Facebook's policies, that profile or all tied to the account can be affected.Interaction-based (i.e. work profile, hobby profile, family profile, etc.)PODCAST FANFICTIONhttps://audioboom.com/posts/8103609-podcast-famous-with-brian-parkAudio Boom's Normal Gossip had an episode air on June 21st that detailed the story of three women who became a fans of a podcast that had a fan group on Reddit.The women in the story found out that there was a fan-fiction group for this podcast, and thought it was hilarious, so they started tak
- Failing Upwards with Matt Rideout & Tom RossiWhile Alban and Kevin are out, Jordan has Buzzsprout Facebook Group Moderator, Matt Rideout, and the Co-Founder of Buzzsprout, Tom Rossi, on the show. In this episode, the hosts hash out the results of Sounds Profitable's "The Creators" report, discover how to get featured in Spotify, & chat about Reddit's new feature: Reddit Talks!Thanks to Matt Rideout for guesting on this episode & telling us all about being in live radio! You can find his podcast, Wax Wednesday, here: https://lnns.co/-X9lUBrtw4sBUZZCAST UPDATESThanks to Claire for writing in about your experience at the Podcast Show in London! Check out Claire's podcast, The Silent Why! https://www.thesilentwhy.com/Buzzsprout Ads payout has rolled out! https://buzzsprout.com/adsTHE CREATORS BY SOUNDS PROFITABLEhttps://soundsprofitable.com/article/the-creators-us-2022PODCAST CREATION DECLININGhttps://www.listennotes.com/podcast-stats/#growthHOW TO GET FEATURED IN SPOTIFYform: https://airtable.com/shrd0oasoTLijGglGblog post: https://podcasters.spotify.com/blog/how-to-get-your-podcast-featured-on-spotifyREDDIT TALKShttps://www.reddit.com/talkONLY MURDERS IN THE BUILDINGhttps://www.hulu.com/series/only-murders-in-the-buildingThis episode of Buzzcast is hosted by Jordan Blair @jordanpods, Matt Rideout, and Tom Rossi @tomrossi7. Thanks for listening & keep podcasting!
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That MetaverseIn this episode, the hosts share news of a new Buzzsprout feature, and discuss the Apple Podcasts search function, QR codes, AI tech in podcasting, and podcasts in the metaverse.Buzzsprout Share PageThis page contains all of your directory links and social media channels. This way followers can easily listen through their favorite podcasting app! https://www.buzzsprout.com/help/94-sharing-your-podcastApple Podcasts SearchApple Podcasts discloses how their search in the app works & how to optimize your podcast for ranking in their resultshttps://podcasters.apple.com/support/3686-search-on-apple-podcastsPodcasting Q&A Episode: SEO for Podcasts https://pqa.buzzsprout.com/328913/10675064-seo-for-podcastsQR codesPodcasting Q&A Episode: Using QR Codes for Podcast Promotionhttps://pqa.buzzsprout.com/328913/10772851-using-qr-codes-for-podcast-promotionSteven Robles QR Code Shortcut: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/e5e5bf765cd249d4b69762594bbc7f61AI in PodcastingSonantic AI Voiceshttps://www.sonantic.io/Fathom AI Searchhttps://hello.fathom.fm/Fathom Ken Miller interview on Podland:https://www.podland.news/1538779/10803400-interview-with-ken-miller-from-fathom-spotify-buys-an-ai-voice-service-google-podcasts-slips-up-in-pride-month-sam-looks-different-to-what-adam-curry-thinksPodcasts in the MetaverseiHeartLand in Robloxhttps://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220608005163/en/ Buzzsprout AdsPodcasting Q&A Episode: How to Create an Effective Podcast Promo
- The Great Splatter DebateIn this episode, the hosts get in a heated debate about the speckled design on the new Focusrite Vocaster, discuss podcast NFTs, speculate over the most recent announcements from Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference, and a listener's theory might be the solution to the decline of podcast ratings.Podcast NFTsIf you're curious about the sea-themed audio NFT website we discuss, check it out here (buyer beware): https://podfriends.ioTo hear the ReplyAll NFT, listen to their episode "#185 The Rainbow Chain" here: https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/j4he7a7/185-the-rainbow-chainCrypto Island podcast: https://podnews.net/podcast/i9yktPodcast Show Londonthepodcastshowlondon.comBuzzsprout AdsCheck out the FAQ: https://www.buzzsprout.com/help/175-buzzsprout-ads Sign up to advertise on Buzzsprout podcasts: https://buzzsprout.com/adsApple WWDC 2022https://techcrunch.com/2022/06/06/heres-everything-apple-just-announced-at-the-wwdc-2022-keynote/White Noise Podcasts https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-06-01/how-to-make-money-on-spotify-a-white-noise-podcast-could-bring-you-big-bucksFocusrite Vocasterhttps://focusrite.com/en/vocasterTwitter Crypto TikTok Song from @rosswinnhttps://twitter.com/julytheginny/status/1525208944536346625?s=21&t=FTZWxvOplnz-aE59zWZalQWhoop the Podcasthttps://www.whoop.com/thelocker/whoop-podcast-all-episodes/Buzzcast is hosted by Alban Brooke @albanbrooke, Kevin Finn @kfinn, and J
- Do We Need To Mark This Explicit? with Jonathan SwensonWhile Alban and Kevin are off to the Podcast Show in London, Jordan has Buzzsprout Facebook Group Moderator, Jonathan Swenson, on the show. In this episode, the hosts discuss the new Buzzsprout Ads rollout, the announcement of Apple Podcasts Delegated Delivery integration, Spotify's newest mishaps, the very sexy RØDECaster Pro II, and play a friendly game of Poddle. Thanks to Jonathan Swenson for guesting on this episode! You can find his podcasts here: Halfwit History: https://www.halfwit-history.com/Halfwits & Failed Crits: https://www.halfwitsfailedcrits.com/Jonathan's Twitter: @jaygswensonBUZZSPROUT ADSBuzzcast Bonus Episode: https://buzzcast.buzzsprout.com/231452/10661774-buzzsprout-ads-have-arrivedFor more info about Buzzsprout Ads:https://www.buzzsprout.com/help/175-buzzsprout-adsAPPLE PODCASTS DELEGATED DELIVERYhttps://www.buzzsprout.com/blog/apple-podcasts-delegated-deliveryIntegration that allows creators to manage both their free and premium content for Apple Podcasts from within Buzzsprout. If you're on Buzzsprout, you'll have access to Delegated Delivery on all paid plans starting this fall. Watch Buzzsprout's video about how to set up Apple Podcasts Subscriptions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc2aMNViSDkSPOTIFY ERRORS https://podnews.net/update/spotify-boozePODDLEhttps://poddle.podchaser.com/New game by Podchaser inspired by WordleDaily puzzle with podcast artwork obscured by pixelsBecomes less pixelated with each guessRØDECASTER PRO II The Leak:
- Buzzsprout Ads Have Arrived!In this bonus episode, Alban & Kevin announce Buzzsprout's latest feature: Buzzsprout Ads, and go into detail about how it works & its game-changing effect on podcast monetization. For more info about Buzzsprout Ads:https://www.buzzsprout.com/help/175-buzzsprout-adsThis episode of Buzzcast is hosted by Alban Brooke @albanbrooke and Kevin Finn @kfinn. Thanks for listening & keep podcasting!
- Best Podcast Ever! (3 Stars) + Industry Insights with Tom WebsterIn this episode, the hosts get fact-checked about Apple Podcasts episode artwork, discuss the new IAB Podcast Ad Revenue Study, and argue that it's not podcasts, but the listeners, that are the problem when it comes to ratings. Tom Webster also drops in to share some exciting news & actionable insights for the indie podcaster. Conan Shares His Theory About “The Daily” Podcast | Conan O’Brien Needs a Friendhttps://youtu.be/4ws7L3F8-kcTweets:https://twitter.com/mikiebarb/status/1524173124987674625?s=21&t=PNmHKyPt3-N8rN_B6kbtWQApple Podcasts Episode ArtworkIf you use Apple Podcasts, please unfollow this podcast & see if the episodic artwork shows for you. (Then follow us again ASAP!)Tweet us @Buzzsprout or send an email to email@example.com titled Buzzcast Episode Artwork to let us know if it worked for you!IAB U.S. Podcast Advertising Survey Resultshttps://www.iab.com/insights/u-s-podcast-advertising-revenue-report-fy-2021-results-2022-2024-growth-projections/Interview with Tom WebsterFollow Tom on Twitter @webby2001 & listen to his podcast, I Hear Things https://tomwebster.media/Zoom Changes Free Account Durationhttps://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/5809097508109-May-2-2022-Free-account-meeting-duration-changesZoom users on the free plan are now limited to 40 minutes, even for one-on-one meetings. We recommend switching to Squadcast.fm or Riverside.fm! Are Podcasts Getting Worse?https://rephonic.com/blog/are-podcasts-getting-worseBuzzcast is hosted by Alban Brooke @albanbrooke, Kevin Finn @kfinn, and Jordan Blair @jordanpodsThanks for listening and keep podcasting!
- Meanwhile, in the Land of "Who Cares?"In this episode, we reveal the new cohost of Buzzcast, chat about podcast merch, the pros and cons of premium podcast subscriptions, the death of live audio, and answer some Buzzsprout Facebook Community Questions. Links from this episode:How To Start A Podcast (The Podcast)Buzzsprout Cotton Bureau MerchApple Podcast: Prepare for annual subscriptioin plansApple Podcast: New listening reports for subscriptionsFacebook is pulling back from its foray into podcastingSpotify axes its Spotify Greenroom Creator Fund
- Alban's Conspiracy Episode with Arielle NissenblattWelcome Arielle NissenblattFollow upLast week we talked about Spotify's new TikTok style podcast discovery. If you'd like to check it out on iOS open Safari and go to spotify:internal:podcastclipsExplainer on TikTokspotify:internal:podcastclipsApple Podcasts Releases Follower NumbersFollowers = clicked the ⊕ follow button (similar to download numbers)Listeners = listened to 1 second (22%, 18%, 22%)Engaged listener = 20min or 40% of episode (14%, 14%, 20%)ACast Spam turned up to 11One podcast consultant reporting that Acast had spammed his client within seconds of signing with a competitor. A majority of Acast’s mailings seen by Podnews omit a physical postal address, which is required by US law. One unsolicited Acast email claims that “you subscribed to our newsletter via the beefree·io website”, but BeeFree has denied any affiliation with Acast. Acast’s emails also reference Mailup Inc; but mail headers reveal that Acast’s emails are sent using a competitor, Mailgun (via customer·io).Hit Spam early and oftenTopicsSpotify is promoting fake music artistsSpotify builds platform on the back of top music artistsSpotify convinces users to use their playlistsSpotify creates their own content and promotes it in their playlistsArtists are left with no distribution and no moneyBuzzsprout Platform Stats+5.8% listens across the platformApple is up to 37.4%, Spotify to 27.9%Spotify users listening to less podcasts (Edison Research)Or Spotify favoring owned content?Podcast download chartsTop 1% - 3,994Top 5% - 795Top 10% - 335Top 25% - 93Top 50% - 30
- Every Big Update from Podcast Movement Evolutions with Sam SethiIn this episode, Sam Sethi (cohost of PodLand News) joins the crew to break down all the big announcements at Podcast Movement Evolutions from the rise of TikTok for podcast discoverability to new updates from YouTube, Twitter, Spotify, and Apple Podcasts. Learn everything you need to know on this week's episode of Buzzcast!Special BuzzBoost Shoutouts to Ross, Kyrin, Carol, Dave, and Kyle for supporting the show.If you'd like us to drop a Podcast Promo for your show into a future episode of Buzzcast, simply:Record a 30-second promo (with or without music)Email the audio file alongside a title and relevant links to firstname.lastname@example.orgLinks from this episode:PME Infinite Dial Insights [Alban's Twitter Thread]Spotify is testing a new "TikTok style scrolling" EarBuds Podcast Collective NewsletterYouTube podcasting plansApple Podcasts introduces Follower metrics, MP3 support for subscription audio, and moreValue 4 Value podcasts
- YouTube Starts Paying for Podcast Content + The Ethics of Spamming PodcastersIn this episode, Jordan Blair joins the crew to discuss several innovative audio apps, why YouTube is paying podcasters to create video content, Apple Podcasts' newest feature, and why companies are sending spam emails to podcasters.Special BuzzBoost Shoutouts to Kyrin, Dave, and Andy for supporting the show.Be sure to check out Jordan's podcast Dreamful on your favorite podcast listening app.Links from this episode:Racket launches an app for 99-second micro podcastsRun the airwaves with Amp, the live radio app from AmazonYouTube is reportedly paying podcasters to film their showsiOS 15.4: What’s New for Apple PodcastsDorktales Storytime podcast offers classic tales to raise awareness about autism
- Twitter Podcasts Leaks + How to Start a Podcast in 2022In this episode, the crew discusses Alban's TikTok stardom, some indie podcast apps that are on the rise, and what we think of Twitter jumping into podcasts.Special BuzzBoost Shoutouts to Kyrin, Dave, Chris, Nick, and Eric for supporting the show. Links from this episode:In Defense of Third-Party Podcast Solutions (Chartable Article by Bryan Barletta)How to Start a Podcast is refreshed for 2022 feat. Alban, Gilon, and TravisFollow Buzzsprout on TikTokListen to the Buzzcast episode where we discussed going viral on TikTokSubmit your Fiction podcast to Apollo (Twitter thread)
- Apple Clarifies the New and Noteworthy Section + How to Earn Cryptocurrency From Your Listeners (and maybe a little Spotify news)In this episode, the crew discusses Spotify's recent murders and acquisitions (*sorry* mergers and acquisitions), how to submit your show to be featured in Apple Podcasts, and why streaming cryptocurrency to your favorite podcaster may be the future of monetization.Shoutouts to Dave Jones at Podcast Index and Kyrin from the Mere Mortals podcast for sending us our first Satoshis!Value 4 Value:See which podcasts support "value 4 value"Download Castamatic from the iOS App StoreDM Kevin on Twitter to earn some free SatoshisUse CashApp's refer a friend referral link to earn some free Bitcoin/USDUpdates from Apple Podcasts:New instructions for submitting to Apple Podcasts' New and NoteworthyUsing chapters on Apple PodcastsOther Links Mentioned in this Episode:Spotify Acquires Podsights and ChartableComplete the Podnews podcast platform survey
- Joe Rogan, Misinformation, and SpotifyNote: This episode was recorded on Wednesday, February 2nd so we only address the controversy around covid misinformation in the Joe Rogan Experience. Since then there have been additional controversies about racist comments resulting in many episodes of the Joe Rogan Experience being removed from Spotify.-------------In this episode, the crew discusses Apple Podcasts' resurgence in Buzzsprout's Global Stats, what's going on over at Spotify, and what it takes to make podcasting a full-time job.Upcoming Podcast Conferences:Podcast Movement Evolutions, March 23-26Blk Pod Festival, May 28-29Podfest Expo, May 26-29Links from this episode:Buzzsprout's Global Stats for JanuarySpotify Is Removing Neil Young Songs After He Complains of ‘Misinformation’ (New York Times)Joe Rogan, Confined to Spotify, is Losing Influence (The Verge)Improve Podcast's Study of Podcasters
- Monetization for the Rest of Us + Designing Our Dream Podcast MicrophoneIn this episode, the crew discusses Riverside's new Android app, Travis' propensity to leave Apple Podcasts reviews on his own shows, how the landscape of podcast monetization is shifting, and what features we'd include in our dream podcast microphone.
- Spotify Adds Ratings + 2022 Podcast PredictionsIn this episode, the crew discusses Spotify's new podcast ratings, how to start a successful podcast in 2022, and what we predict will totally happen in the podcasting industry this year.Links from this episode:HTSAP Audio PodcastHTSAP VideoBuzzsprout CourseNext Level Tools to Power Up Your Podcast [Buzzsprout Overview]7x Tips to Avoid PODFADE in 2022Mic giveaway post