The last word in podcasting news. Every Friday James Cridland (⚡email@example.com ) and Sam Sethi (⚡firstname.lastname@example.org) review and analyse the week's top podcasting news as covered on Podnews. They also interview some of the biggest names in podcasting making the news ... Support the show at https://weekly.podnews.net, or hit the boost button! ... Sponsored by Buzzsprout: podcast hosting made easy.
Value for Value ⚡️
- Live at The Podcast Show: YouTube RSS plans and the Edison Podcast RankerSpecial guest: the audienceLive from The Podcast Show, Sam and James look back at the week's podcasting news.Support the showConnect With Us: Website: weekly.podnews.net Email: email@example.com Twitter: @jamescridland / @podnews and @samsethi / @samtalkstech Lightning/NOSTR: ⚡firstname.lastname@example.org and ⚡email@example.com Mastodon: @firstname.lastname@example.org and @email@example.com Support us: www.buzzsprout.com/1538779/support Podnews Business Journal: sign up for free here NEW: Podnews Live Events: (Tickets on sale now!) Podnews Live (Manchester) - 13/06 Podnews Live (London) - 27/09 Podnews Live (Barcelona) - 25/09 Podnews Live (Mexico City) - Nov
- New Releases and MD Interviews: Oscar Merry (Fountain 0.7), Martin Mouritzen (Podfriend 2.0) and Mark Asquith (Captivate Creator Suite).Special Guests:Mark Asquith - Captivate Oscar Merry - FountainMartin Mouritzen - Podfriend News: The New York Times released its standalone Audio appSpotify’s AI DJ launches in UK and IrelandThe US podcast ad market is now worth $1.8bn, according to new data from the IAB and PWC. The IAB predicts the market will be $3.9bn by 2025.Buzzsprout has enlarged its podcast advertising tool to allow ads from products and businesses.The Diary Of A CEO is now streaming on BBC iPlayer!Good Tape is a new print magazine from Dane Cardiel VP, Gumball. Sign upShreya Sharma has unveiled Audio Currents, a newsletter for global audio news, creator interviews and releasesA group of media and investment veterans are launching a new podcast company called DWNLOAD MediaRAJAR released the Spring 2023 MIDAS ReportThe Podcast Namespace is working on closing Phase 6 - June 1st. The Podnews Weekly Review - the last word in podcasting news - will also be the last word on The Amplify Theatre stage at The Podcast Show in London next week. Watch the show, live, with Sam Sethi and James Cridland, with guests and a look back at the news: Thursday May 25 at 4.15pm. Support the showConnect With Us: Website:
- Broadcast to Podcast; plus, a look ahead at The Podcast ShowSpecial Guests: Rob Lowenthal - Spotify/MegaphoneSharon Taylor - Triton DigitalDarby Dorras - ListenTom Billington - The Podcast ShowNews: Acast released Q1/23 financials. Acast now hosts more than 100K registered podcasts globally and they’ve also exceeded 100mn monthly unique listeners. They have now paid more than $250 million out to their creators since Acast began.Amazon Music is paying some Australian listeners AUD$5 (USD$3.39) in vouchers just for listening to a podcast on the platform. Amazon quietly acquired Snackable, an AI platform.The Podcast Show 2023. You can still buy tickets for the event - the code PODNEWS will get you a discount.Bumper looks at ways to look at Listen Time as a method to measure your audience’s engagement with your podcast. Podcasting on YouTube is a flop so far, reports Ashley Carman in her newsletter.NewsGuard, a “news reliability data service”, has announced its entry into podcasting today. Support the showConnect With Us: Website: weekly.podnews.net Email:
- Good news! Plus, Chris Quamme Rhoden from Acast, and Nick Hilton on host readsSpecial Guests: Chris Quamme Rhoden on Acast's work in the Podcast Standards Project.Nick Hilton talks about host reads.News: Spotify for Podcasters posted its second-highest share of new episodes, growing 13% since January. Spotify for Podcasters is rolling out the company’s monetisation programs, Automated Ads and Ambassador Ads, to more countries.Podcast ad spending grew by 32% last year in the UK, according to the IAB.Let’s change the standard for host-read advertising, says Nick Hilton in a blog post. He argues we’re undervaluing the medium: echoing Dan Granger’s thoughts in the Podcast Business Journal last Friday.The Podcast Academy has announced the association’s 2023-2024 Officers. The winners of The Publisher Podcast Awards were announced. The Podcast of the Year went to Hot Money
- Spotify reach 500m MAU's. Podcasts appear in YouTube Music, Ofcom says the number of Brits listening to podcasts has flatlined.Special GuestsAmi Thakkar - The Podcast Academy, Board MemberStaffan Rosell - PodX Group, CEO & Co-FounderNews: YouTube Music now has podcasts - on the website version only for now. Spotify released its Q1/23 financial report. Spotify’s strongest Q1 since going public in 2018. The big headline: it surpassed 500M monthly active listeners (now at 515M) and 210m premium subscribers. Podcast revenue grew by nearly 20%.The Podcast Survey 2023 has been released by Ofcom, the UK media regulator. Ofcom just publishes the raw tables of data; It suggests that the number of Brits listening to podcasts hasn’t changed in the last twelve months.Our podcasts in Asia series goes to Indonesia.The latest version of Hindenburg PRO 2 (build 2522) now exports SRT files.Podverse has added speaker names to transcripts on its web player. Podfriend v2 will support the 'podfollow' feature.The podcast:valueTimeSplit tag has been proposed by Alex Gates.Ausha has announced it has added AI to its platform. Nathan Gathright has written a blog post called “Examining Update Frequency.Support the showConnect With Us:
- Spotify strikes a deal with Jellysmack for video. RØDE Podcaster Duo & Streamer X launch at NAB. The Podcast Academy board announced.Special Guests: Steven BellElisa ShearerNews:Spotify is stopping platform exclusivity for some of its Gimlet showsStarting on June 1, Chartable will no longer provide confirmed plays and episode consumption data from Apple PodcastsSpotify has also announced it’s closing HeardleSpotify has struck a deal with Jellysmack, the creator company that works with stars like MrBeast and Bailey Sarian, that will see some of Jellysmack’s top creators uploading weekly video episodes to SpotifyAuthor and activist Cory Doctorow has criticised Spotify, the BBC and Apple for operating walled gardens instead of open podcastingRØDE has launched a number of new products at the NAB Show in Las VegasThe Podcast Academy Board Finally Announced! Buzzsprout has added automated midrolls to their dynamic audio insertion toolPocket Casts has added episode searchThe proposed podroll tag is now being supported by PodfansSupport the show
- Podnews buys Podcast Business Journal. Kids Listen releases survey on kids podcasts. New 'Podroll' tag is rolled out on Podnews. Podcast Guru is LIT.Special Guest: Sanden Totten, Kids ListenNews: Podnews has acquired Podcast Business Journal which will publish a weekly roundup of news, podcast business data, and a long-form interview every week. You can sign up for free hereSpotify’s Megaphone has launched its own broadcast-to-podcast technology tools. Building on its acquisition of Whooshkaa in Dec 2021Lemonada Media and Apple Books have launched an audio book clubIndependent podcast networks say they aren’t pivoting to video, reports Ashley CarmanPodcast app Podcast Guru appears to now support live episodes in its new beta releaseCurioCaster's Alby Integration is now live The podcast:podroll element has been proposed - a way to signal to podcast apps a list of other shows that this podcaster wishes to recommendPodnews now supports the 'podroll' tag on our podcast pagesYou can now search Podnews for GUIDsPodcast Index API allows for a GUID lookup https://podcastindex-org.github.io/docs-api/#get-/podcasts/byguidWe gave the Adthos AI-generated audio ads service a go
- Acast's SVP Marketing, Comms and Brand, Lizzy Pollott talks Interchangeable Ad Slots, Keyword and Conversational Ad Targeting and The Obamas join Acast. Plus it's Happy Adopt-a-Listener Month!Special Guests: Lizzy Pollott - SVP Marketing, Communications & BrandNina Robinson - CEO & Founder Soundtruism Productions News:Podcasts from Higher Ground are to be sold and distributed by Acast. Shows were previously with Spotify.Happy Adopt-a-Listener Month! Spotify for Podcasters increased its share in March to 23.1% of all new episodesSpotify is claiming the company now has 5.3m podcastsSpotify is to shut down its Clubhouse-clone, Spotify Live on April 30, 2023 A new library called Transcriptator has been publishedMartin Mouritzen is also hinting at a new version of Podfriends coming out soonRSSBlue is looking to add Podping support Why support alternateEnclosures? Because if you do, podcast hosts, you could save up to 87.5% of your bandwidth billsCross-app comments are now available on the Podcast Index website. Support the showConnect With Us: Website:
- Ahoj Jamesi! Podcast Standards Project launches, iOS 16.4 launches and Podnews Live in Barcelona/Mexico launches.Special Guests: Justin Jackson and Charles Wilchin.A new grassroots industry coalition, the Podcast Standards Project, has been launched to advocate for open podcasting. The group includes podcast hosting companies like RSS.com, Buzzsprout, Red Circle, Captivate and Acast; and podcast players like Pocket Casts and Podverse. Remote recording tool Riverside has unveiled a significant update adding text-based editing and AI transcription features.At Radiodays Europe, it was announced that UK daily news podcast The News Agents had reached 24 million downloads since launching seven months ago. The show is hosted by Captivate.Libsyn’s Glow has unveiled integration with Spotify Open Access. Gumball has expanded its host-read podcast advertising marketplace to YouTube.Audacy’s auction of its radio·com domain name has been reset for another 90 days.Slate is the latest publisher to partner with YouTube to bring its podcasts to the platform.Podcast history: from Oct 13, 2003 - the rediscovered source code for Adam Curry’s iPod AppleScript was the first tool that would automagically update your iPod with any new mp3's that are downloaded to your “Radio UserLand” enclosures folder Blubrry has removed email addresses from RSS feeds by default (and the latest version of PowerPress also does so).
- Podcasts are go (on YouTube) (kind of); and interview with Captivate's Mark AsquithSpecial Guest: Mark Asquith - MD Captivate (Global)News: YouTube announced that “podcasts are a go!”YouTube’s Creator Insider has produced a video announcing the company’s new podcast features and metricsFacebook is shutting its audio channels in groupsLinkedIn has launched the LinkedIn Podcast Academy, a six month incubator pilot for nineteen showsSpotify and NPR are detailing their new partnership in a post highlighting how the two companies are “forging a new partnership focused on diversification and discoverability”Audiobooks are now available to Spotify users in CanadaSpotify Spent Less Than 10% of Its $100 Million Diversity FundPodX Group expands further in Europe by acquiring Suomen Podcastmedia, Finland’s largest podcast company10 million accounts on MastodonCuriocaster adds support for Alby WalletDave Jones has started work on the #guidresolver: https://github.com/Podcastindex-org/guid-resolverKevin Finn from Buzzsprout talked about adding a simple PodRollWordPress.com acquires an ActivityPub pluginOver the last 90 days, podcasters have received at least $35,548 in “value4value” streaming sats and boosts.Reid Hoffman’s new podcast Possible. - www.possible.fm
- The iHeartPodcast Awards; Podcast Mania; Norma-Jean Belenky on Podcast Movement; Apple is #1James is joined this week by Courtney Kocak, while Sam Sethi goes skiing.Links for this week's show at https://podnews.net/archive Support the showConnect With Us: Website: weekly.podnews.net Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @jamescridland / @podnews and @samsethi / @samtalkstech Lightning/NOSTR: ⚡email@example.com and ⚡firstname.lastname@example.org Mastodon: @email@example.com and @firstname.lastname@example.org Support us: www.buzzsprout.com/1538779/support Podnews Business Journal: sign up for free here NEW: Podnews Live Events: (Tickets on sale now!) Podnews Live (Manchester) - 13/06 Podnews Live (London) - 27/09 Podnews Live (Barcelona) - 25/09 Podnews Live (Mexico City) - Nov
- Spotify drops Anchor but streams on with new TikTok UI for podcast discoverability. RSS.com provides Automatic Transcripts for freeSpecial Guest: Jordan Blair - Buzzcast Co-Host and Producer Show Notes: Anchor is now called Spotify for Podcasters. The new podcast hosting service includes automated ads (US-only, invite-only), and podcast subscriptions (in 34 markets). Spotify will allows any podcaster to use Q&A and polls - wherever they’re hosted.Spotify also announced an expanded video podcasts lineup.Spotify revealed their latest interface, a vertically-scrolling way to discover new shows Spotify has also added Autoplay for Podcasts Spotify is also partnering with Patreon.Spotify Hi-fi, announced in February 2021, has still not been launchedPodcast host RSS.com is the first podcast host to have released fully free automatic transcripts for all its customers. The transcripts appear on episode pages on the RSS websitePodcast listening has hit record highs, according to The Infinite Dial® from Edison ResearchCaptivate just released a massive range of RSS enhancements, powered by Podcasting 2.0, for free to all Captivate Podcasters. A proposal has been made for the podcast namespace’s author tag.
- Will YouTube podcasting earn your time & attention? Podnews Live in Vegas, Manchester and London.Special Guest:Steve Pratt - Founder / Attention Strategist at The Creativity BusinessThe News: (All links are from Podnews.net)YouTube Music adds podcasts and will support RSS uploads. See our full report. YouTube's new CEO, Neal Mohan, has written a blog post on the company's 2023 priorities. There's a paragraph about podcasting, which reflects the announcement made last week. You can now embed YouTube videos in Transistor website pages. The Podnews Daily podcast playlist appears visible on YouTube. Outgoing Spotify/Parcast exec Max Cutler has posted his predictions for the industry. 🎶 Spotify hits 200mn subscribersSpotify Live - costs $9.99Open podcast analytics service OP3 has released show stats pages, with download data, podcast platforms, countries and more. The Ambies are March 7th! Podnews Weekly Review Live (Podcast Movement) Thursday, March 9, 2023 12:00 PMPodnews Live (Manchester/London) tickets - podnews.net/liveAdam Curry says 'Podspeeding' frazzles your brain and you shouldn’t do it!Support the showConnect With Us: Website: weekly.podnews.net Email: email@example.com Twitter:
- YouTube get into podcasting; Apple removes AppleCoreMedia, Podimo launches in the UK, and The Podcast Index shows cross-app comments workingSpecial Guests: Nayeema Raza - talks about ON with Kara Swisher/Vox Media - Podcast ExtraMitch Downey - NEW Podverse v4.12.1 with LIT, Video and Value4Value streaming SATs. Jake Chudnow - Podimo enters the UK podcast market with more than twenty new shows. Show Notes: Apple finally removed the AppleCoreMedia user agent from Apple Podcasts.(Jonas Woost) Listen Time & (Steve Pratt) Earned Value ... finally no downloads to measure? Bumper is suggesting Listen Time is the right metric and the company has published a detailed method of calculating it. I think Bumper is the other side of the coin for what I am doing. I'm focused on how to Earn Attention and Listen Time is about measuring time and attention that has been earned. - Steve Pratt.The Podcast Index website now shows Cross-App comments for individual podcast episodes. The Podcasting 2.0 podcast is a good place to see them.Nathan Gathright launched his early preview of http://Steno.fmJoin us at Podcast Movement on March 9 at 12pm for a live Podnews Weekly Review recording. Podnews Live - Tickets for Salford, Manchester are on sale now. All the best podcasters are filling in the Podnews Report Card. Support the showConnect With Us:
- Vox Media & Spotify raise significant new funding. Acast reports strong 2022 growth and seeks profitability by 2024. Podimo enters the UK market. Interviews with Hindenburg and RSS BlueSpecial Guests Chris Mottes - CEO at Hindenburg SystemsHindenburg announced this week Hindenburg PRO v2, a new version of the editor with new features including transcription. Podnews has an exclusive review of the new version. Here are the Hindenburg team demonstrating the new Hindenburg PRO v2.Dovydas Joksas - CEO RSS Blue RSS Blue now support keysend protocol and .well-known lookup scheme which means you will be able to fetch wallet details from any provider that supports it. Show NotesVox Media Podcast Network’ is raising $100 million from Penske Media who will own about 20% of Vox Media, making it the largest shareholder of the company.Spotify has a new investor. San Francisco-based hedge fund ValueAct Capital Management.Acast published its year-end financial report. In Q4/22, Acast claims 1.3bn listens (up 22% y/y). Net sales for the quarter were up 35% y/y to SEK454mn (US $43.7mn). They are on track towards profitability in 2024.Descript has made a number of changes to its redesignPodimo is to enter
- Google removes/adds podcasts; Tom Rossi on Buzzsprout subscriptions; Sean Glynn on Novel; Jordan HarbingerSpecial Guests: Tom RossiSean GlynnJordan Harbinger Show NotesGoogle tells us that Google Podcasts carousel links in Google Search (which the company said will go away at the end of this week) are being replaced with a new feature. Over a thousand Buzzsprout podcasts are using the subscriptions feature, according to Buzzcast. It was announced in late January. UK podcast company Novel has secured a £5mn ($6.2mn) Series A investment round. The investment will be used to accelerate growth with strategic partners, and to establish the company’s own network of originals.Dan Misener from Bumper says, 54% of the Apple Podcasts top 200 had trailers, and 50% of the Spotify top 200 did too.What makes a chart-topping podcast? Rephonic says that top shows tend to be weekly; tend to skew male in audience.Dave Jones has added a new Podcast Index API output of feed and episode value blocks.Cloudflare announced Wildebeest, an open-source, easy-to-deploy ActivityPub and Mastodon-compatible serverHindenburg 2.0 is launching shortly.Podverse (New Version) supports value-for-value streaming for videos.Podnews Live - Manchester 13th June - Save the Day! (0:00) 10 Feb(1:16) Google and podcasts(7:37) Interview: Tom Rossi from Buzzsprout(20:57) Interview: Sean Glynn from Novel(32:40) Trailers
- Spotify's financials; Leo Laporte, chief TWiT; Todd Cochrane; and an MA in PodcastingGuests: Leo Laporte - Twit.TVTodd Cochrane - Podcast hosting company Blubrry has released support for "value4value", a way to accept online payments from podcast listeners in apps like Fountain, Castamatic and Podverse. The company has partnered with Alby. With more than 100,000 shows using Blubrry, this is the biggest podcast host so far to natively support value4value. Brett Spencer & Sandy Warr - City, University of London has announced the UK’s first dedicated MA in Podcasting and a Centre of Podcasting ExcellenceNews:Spotify released the company's Q4/22 financial update. In an earnings call, Daniel Ek admitted "In hindsight, I probably got a little carried away." We carry a longer quote from Ek about podcasting below. You can hear this clip in Podnews Extra UK podcast company Novel has secured a £5mn ($6.2mn) Series A investment round. The investment will be used to accelerate growth with strategic partners, and to establish the company’s own network of originals. Exclusive: Podnews today starts a series of articles about podcasting in East and South East Asia. Alby has released details about its partnership with Blubrry.
- Dawn of a new age at Spotify. Become a supporter of this podcast thanks to Buzzsprout NEW subscriptions. Are new podcasts really 80% down?Special Guest: Jack Davenport - Managing Director at Goalhanger PodcastsSpotify has announced that almost 600 people (6%) will be laid off. Daniel Ek announced in a memo that Chief Content Officer Dawn Ostroff is to leave the company; "Alex [Norström] will take on the responsibility for the content, advertising and licensing work going forward".The number of new podcasts has dramatically dropped by 80% in two years, according to data reported this week. Except… as we explore today in a deep-dive article, that data point doesn’t tell the whole story. In fact, podcasting is in a much better place.Buzzsprout has announced a podcast subscription tool. You can choose from recurring support, or premium content only available to your supporters; the company takes a fee of 15%. The Podnews Weekly Review has added the opportunity to become a PoWeR supporter if you’d like to see it at work.(0:00:00) Jan 27(0:01:04) She's Offstroff - Spotify changes(0:21:30) Is podcasting really down by 80%?(0:28:04) Buzzsprout launches subscriptions(0:34:
- Forget downloads, "Listen Time" maybe a better way to measure podcast success.Special Guest Interviews:Jonas Woost - co-founder of Bumper writes about "A better way to measure podcast success: Listen Time"Lex Friedman is moving on from his role at Amazon and Wondery and is to become a full-time consultant at Lex Friedman Consulting.Top News StoriesExclusive: Google Podcasts has been removed from Google Search. Now, a Google search for a podcast no longer shows any play buttons linking to the service or any links to Google Podcasts.Open podcast analytics service OP3 has published its method of calculating downloads, including links to code.Cloudflare has launched Wildebeest, an ActivityPub and Mastodon-compatible server. Support the showConnect With Us: Website: weekly.podnews.net Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @jamescridland / @podnews and @samsethi / @samtalkstech Lightning/NOSTR: ⚡email@example.com and ⚡firstname.lastname@example.org Mastodon:
- Apple launches Delegated Delivery, and a look back at Google Podcasts in 2022Show notes come soon!Spotify chapters workaround...(0:00) Fri 13 Jan(0:53) Apple launches Delegated Delivery(4:54) Amazon almost do a deal but don't(7:31) A new Audible podcast(9:57) Google Podcasts Creator Program goes(16:05) Spotify loses shows(23:33) People news(25:43) The Tech Stuff(41:05) Awards and events(43:02) Boostagram Corner(47:59) Sam reveals his funding(50:09) James's old blog postsSupport the showConnect With Us: Website: weekly.podnews.net Email: email@example.com Twitter: @jamescridland / @podnews and @samsethi / @samtalkstech Lightning/NOSTR: ⚡firstname.lastname@example.org and ⚡email@example.com Mastodon: @firstname.lastname@example.org and @email@example.com Support us: www.buzzsprout.com/1538779/support Podnews Business Journal: sign up for free here NEW: Podnews Live Events: (Tickets on sale now!) Podnews Live (Manchester) - 13/06 Podnews Live (London) - 27/09 Podnews Live (Barcelona) - 25/09 Podnews Live (Mexico City) - Nov