The last word in podcasting news. Every Thursday James Cridland (⚡email@example.com ) and Sam Sethi (⚡firstname.lastname@example.org) review and analyse some of the week's top podcasting news from around the world. They also interview some of the biggest names making the news. Sponsored by Buzzsprout and SquadCast.
Value for Value ⚡️
- Spotify launch audiobooks, it costs extra. Acast layoff 15% seeking profitability. Transistor.fm supports the Open Podcast Prefix Project. Ivy.fm supports multiple Podcast Index Namespace tags. RSS Blue supports Alby and Fountain digital wallets.Sponsors:Buzzsprout Ads can now Monetize Your Back Catalog, by finding insertion points in your entire back catalogue automatically. SquadCast invites you to join their new Slack channel, DM @SquadCastFM if you want to join.Notes & Links: Spotify has launched audiobooks (in the US only). Audiobooks are an extra cost and you’ll be taken to a website to purchase them.Spotify has signed a deal with Wattpad to bring Indonesian and Filipino webnovel authors to podcasting.Spotify’s video podcasting service is apparently being used to pirate moviesSpotify’s Chartable, an analytics and attribution service, is to lower its prices by 50%Acast is to lay off around 70 people (15% of its staff)The Open Podcast Prefix Project has been launched by John Spurlock. INTERVIEW: JOHN SPURLOCK NEXT WEEKTransistor now supports the Open Podcast Prefix project Apple Podcasts wants a website link for your podcast
- Happy 20th birthday RSS, Alby launches profile pages. Spotify rolls out new Podcast UI and 'reasonably soon' will add Audiobooks.Guest Interviews:Eric Nuzum - Magnificent NoiseAlex Newall - Rusty Quill LtdShow Notes:1. SpotifySpotify is the top podcast network in the US based on reach, according to new data from Edison Research. Spotify now has separate home feeds for Music and Podcasts & Shows! Audiobooks are coming to Spotify “reasonably soon”, according to CFO Paul Vogel.2. AlbyAlby has launched an analytics website for Value 4 Value, the podcast funding method from the Podcast Index. The website, called SATurn, gives a full view of payments made on the Value 4 Value system and interfaces with your Alby wallet. It's free to use, and includes a live feed much like Helipad. Now everyone with an Alby #Lightning Address can get their very own 'My Alby Page'. Sam Page: https://getalby.com/p/samJames Page: https://getalby.com/p/jamesAlby also brought #bitcoin to Linktree in their latest release. 3. OtherBalcao claims it is a new decentralised podcast platformPodcast Index’s websites are no longer going to store any user’s email address. Emails will be stored hashed in future, according to Dave JonesiOS16 -
- "Keep Calm and Carry On". BBC R&D launch 'Adaptive Podcasting' and Alby launch a new SAT's dashboard.Guest InterviewsIan Forrester - BBC R&D - Adaptive PodcastingRene Aaron - Alby - New DashboardShow NotesThe BBC Global News Podcast's presenter Jackie Leonard, and producer Karen Martin, spoke at Radiodays Asia in Malaysia. The show, which is also recording a special edition at the event, is one of the top-rated shows in many Asian countries, with 33m downloads a month.In collaboration with the European Broadcasting Union and partners, BBC R&D has developed an open-source platform that allows the production of 'adaptive' podcasts. Is podcast search broken? Justin Jackson took a tweet from Sounds Profitable’s Bryan Barletta as inspiration to test the search facilities in podcast apps.Podnews did some research on what podcast search engines actually index.Alby is a micropayment wallet that uses the lightning network. They are working on a new Dashboard and their new WP plugin. Link: https://saturn.fly.devAugust’s platform data for BuzzsproutPodverse, a podcast app, has launched searchable transcripts. Here’s an example from the Podland podcast.Wavvy – new web-based audio editor based on AudacityTrebble has launched an online audio editor Podnews podcast pages now support
- You're everywhere or you're no where baby!? Podcasts are coming to YouTube and Twitter should you be on them? Spotify now have ads, transcriptions and maybe comments soon?James Cridland and Sam Sethi return for this week's showNEWS: Adam Curry, the “podfather”, spoke with Dave Jones at Podcast Movement 2022, explaining the history of open podcasting, the Podcast Index and the features available with the new podcast namespaceEdison Research and Sounds Profitable issued reports at Podcast Movement, Dallas The Podcast Broker, a new service for buying and selling podcasts, was launched at Podcast Movement. The service is the brainchild of TrueNativeMedia’s Heather OsgoodYouTube has been rolling out YouTube Podcasts in the US. James broke the story of YouTube’s podcast ambitions in March. Kai Chuk, YouTube’s Director of Podcasting, spoke at Podcast Movement on ThursdayYouTuber (and podcaster) Bandrew Scott looks at YouTube’s entrance to podcastingPodcasts are coming to Twitter and Substack has added a podcast preview featureSpotify has put the company’s new podcast ad experience live in their app. Chris Messina has captured and posted what it looks like
- Live from Dallas: open podcasting, what to do with Spotify, and where the medium is goingWe're sponsored by Buzzsprout and SquadCast.James Cridland joined Todd Cochrane from Blubrry, Rob Greenlee from Libsyn, Tangia Estrada from BIPOC Podcast Creators, and Heather Osgood from The Podcast Broker and True Native Media. This week, the show is from the New Media Show, live on stage at Podcast Movement. This version has been lightly edited from the original. You can find the New Media Show in your favourite podcast app.Want to watch? Here's the show as originally recorded. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6JAh25hIT0
- Podverse mobile supports Alby. Libsyn expands to Europe and Canada. Spotify filters music from podcasts. Podnews launches podcastnamespace.org. Oprah protects her trademark and ASA fines Steven Bartlett.This week's stories discussed by James Cridland and Sam SethiThe UK’s Advertising Standards Authority has upheld a complaint against Huel and The Diary of a CEO with Steven Bartlett.We asked Paul Chantler, one of the UK’s media law experts, how should you keep your host-read podcast ad legal? Oprah Winfrey’s company has filed a lawsuit against fan podcast Oprahdemics from Radiotopia. Libsyn is expanding to Europe by acquiring German podcast company Julep Media.The Latino Podcast Listener Report 2022 was published by Edison Research and Elsie Escobar.Spotify is adding additional filter tabs in its app .Podcast hosting company Disctopia has launched its own mobile app.Spotify is testing a method of recording voice comments about a playlist.Edison Research has shared some data suggesting that
- Podcast neighbourhoods, paying to be a guest, and podcast:verify. Evo Terra sits in for Sam Sethi.Evo Terra joins James Cridland this week, while Sam drinks wine in Europe somewhere. Evo's podcast is at podcast pontifications and he runs simpler.mediaSpecial Guest: Dan Misener co-founder of Bumper. Podcast guests are paying up to $50,000 to appear on popular shows, and the podcasts don’t disclose it, according to a piece from Ashley Carman in Bloomberg. It quotes a number of podcasts who charge more than $30,000 per interview… and they only added a full disclosure (an FTC requirement) after being contacted by Bloomberg for the story.Dan Misener and Jonas Woost launched Bumper, a new podcast growth agency. Bumper will work with organisations on audience development strategies, marketing and promotion.How many downloads get you into the Apple Podcasts charts? Tanner Campbell managed to get into the top 100 in the US Books category last Friday with just 10 listens and 24 followers. In November last year, Steffan Garrero got into the top 50 using social media; but it had no effect on his overall downloads.Podtrac is to add a Sales Network Ranker report in Q3 this year, according to emails from ART19 to some of its customers.Tips and Tricks might be a waste of time, argues Evo Terra, in an article entitled Avoiding The Perils Of Un-aligned Podcast AdviceThe team at the Podcast Index have worked on a proposal for the podcast:verify tag, which would remove email addresses from RSS feeds,
- Who should pay to play? Should guests pay hosts or should listeners pay hosts? #value4value #transparency #trust. Is Thread.land the best place to leave your comments?Guest InterviewsJohn Spurlock - Thread.land Matt Medeiros - CastosShow NotesAcast has released the company’s Q2/22 financial report.The Swedish company now hosts 66,000 podcasts (a record growth last quarter); the number of listens in the quarter increased 41% year-on-year. The company lost $11m in the quarter, though now expects to make EBITDA profit in 2024, earlier than previously expected. “The heavy investment phase is now over, " says CEO Ross Adams, noting that the advertising market has been cooling globally.Bloomberg's Ashley Carman’s newsletter launches next month. Ashley wrote about the world of paid podcast appearances, or what some consider podcast payola. Guests are paying hosts up to $50K for an interview, and the disclosures around that exchange aren’t always clear or even existent.Skye Pillsbury (Frmr contributor, Hot Pod) has launched her newsletter called The SqueezeWant to support podcast:socialInteract with ActivityPub in your feed. Find your podcast on thread.land then DM @johnspurlock the unique prefix url .Congratulation to Josh Chen from JustCast for also adding Alby integration and enabling autofill in Value4Value tag to enable the Alby wallet. Online studio Cleanfeed has won an Emmy Award for Engineering, Science & Technology.
- Good Morning Podcasters! Alby Wallet API delivers Value 4 Value. Hosts RSS.com and Castos deliver integrated wallets. Podchaser API delivers transcripts. Podcast Index delivers descriptions and Spotify delivers Q2 financial results.Guest InterviewAlberto Betella - CTO RSS.comShow NotesPodcast host RSS.com is to announce integration with Alby this week: enabling value 4 value for thousands of podcasts. You’ll be able to activate and link your Alby account with your podcast in RSS.com’s dashboard. RSS has produced a video showing how it works on their platformMonetize your @CastosHQ podcast with @getAlby and @PodcastindexOrg value4value tag! Castos has produced a video showing how it works on their platformFull List of New Podcast 2.0 Apps Full List of Podcast HostsHot on the heels of last week's acquisition by Acast. Podchaser announced this week that developers can now pull episode transcripts from the Podchaser API. In this beta release, developers can retrieve JSON transcript files of episodes from the top 5k podcasts. Spotify published its Q2/21 financial report. which out-performed market expectations. Ignoring currency fluctuations, ad-supported revenue (including podcasting) is up 31%; the platform now has 4.4m podcasts. “The number of (monthly active users) that engaged with podcasts grew in the substantial double-digits Y/Y and per user podcast consumption rates continued to rise,” though no numbers were given.Does podcasting have a privacy problem? Writing on
- Acast buys Podchaser: we talk to both CEOs (and ask about spam); plus, Alby, the simple cryptowallet for podcastersSpecial GuestsMoritz Kaminski - AlbyRoss Adams - AcastBradley Davis - PodchaserShow NotesAcast is to acquire Podchaser, the “world’s most comprehensive and authoritative podcast database” in a deal worth $34m. Podchaser, which is expected to make a profit next year, will continue to operate as a separate brand: it contains data of more than 4.5m million podcasts, including advertising information. The integration will bring additional data to Acast’s advertisers.The podcast landscape is ever shifting!Alby, a browser extension for cryptocurrency, has added its own podcaster wallet. The service allows you to earn from your listeners as they listen. The company has written a full guide to enabling your podcast.Audioboom’s H1/22 financials were released, showing revenue was up 79% on the same period last year. Profit was $2m, up from last year’s $0.2m, and the company’s doing 124m downloads a month (up 35%).Pushkin Industries has purchased podcast creator Transmitter Media. Transmitter’s founder and CEO, Gretta Cohn, will join Pushkin’s senior leadership team.
- Hint: It's Really Simple to extend StandardsSpecial Guests:Mitch Downey - PodverseMike Mignano - Angel Investor and ex-SpotifyShow Notes:Michael Mignano, has written a piece about what he calls The Standards Innovation Paradox. In response, James Cridland wrote a long article that basically points out that Apple took the RSS standard and enhanced it. The thing that Mike Mignano says is impossible.Adam Curry said: Spotify is the shitcoin of podcasting.Spotify is expanding the ability to post video podcasts for creators in six new countries, including Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Brazil and Mexico. This marks the first time the audio streaming company is making this feature available in non-English speaking countries.Spotify has purchased Heardle.Overcast, Marco Arment, describes “cheap, sloppy dynamic ad insertion in podcasts” as something that “continues to degrade the experience for listeners” in a tweet.Reddit is to start live audio Talks says Arielle Nissenblatt in a Twitter thread.Message Heard has signed an audio partnership with The Kyiv In
- Podverse supports LIT and Video. Fountain rewards users for listening to podcasts. Alby, a browser extension for cryptocurrency, adds its own podcaster wallet.Special GuestsHarry Duran - Full CastOscar Merry - Fountain AppShow NotesPodverse adds support for LIT and Video Support. Podcast Host Ranking from John Spurlock Fountain rewards users for listening to podcastsBlubrry has launched 'podcast media kits’ that update daily Libsyn StudioAnchor podcast fraud. Here’s a link with details on how to report themAlby, a browser extension for cryptocurrency, has added its own podcaster wallet. The service allows you to earn from your listeners as they listen. The company has written a full guide to enabling your podcast.EventsThe British Podcast Awards, powered by Audible, Ceremony- Kennington Park, London - Saturday 23rd July - Tickets on Sale: Monday 20th June. SquadCast The Remote Recording Studio That Your Audience Will LoveBuzzsprout Podcast hosting and a whole lot more
- Tom Webster tells us that "creators" are mainly white men under 45 but where are the women? Bloomberg say Spotify's podcast strategy is failing!? Squadcast launch all new v5 and Voiceworks partners with Crowd Network on the Sports Network.Special GuestsTom Webster- Sounds ProfitableZachariah Moreno & Rock Felder - SquadcastSophie Hind & Jim Salveson - VoiceWorksShow NotesSounds Profitable released The Creators, a study of the people who create podcasts. Tom Webster revealed that US podcast creators are more diverse than the US population, but are significantly younger and more male. Most own both Android and iOS devices, though more than four in ten podcast creators have been listening to podcasts for under a year. You can download the full report here.Bloomberg Businessweek posts Spotify’s Billion-Dollar Bet on Podcasting Has Yet to Pay Off. The piece, originally titled “Spotify’s Joe Rogan-Powered Podcast Bet Hasn’t Paid Off”, suggests that the company’s investments haven’t yet yielded a major hit, and contains criticism of Dawn Ostroff’s growth strategy.Spotify and Anchor have debuted RADAR Podcasters, a podcast-creator version of the Spotify program designed to spotlight emerging voices worldwide. The companies start by highlighting more than 40 creators around the world.The number of open video podcasts are on the rise. In November last year, Podcast Index listed 39,194 video podcasts. As of June this year,
- Acast and GoodPods are building 'Community' by enabling comments. Fountain and UnCut are building 'Community' by rewarding your time & attention? And Spotify are building 'Community' by sharing your music listening with friends but not your podcasts?Special GuestsCarlos Diaz - Uncut.fm is a new podcast platform that lets you "mint, share and sell your content as NFTs".Jake Warren - UK podcast production company Message Heard has signed with CAAShow NotesBreaking: Acast+ has announced an integration with Facebook. It allows Acast+ subscribers to offer members-only Facebook groups, as a launch partner of new Facebook functionality. Fountain is now rewarding people for listening to shows with Bitcoin, which they can then share with their favourite podcasters as “value4value”. The more people listen, the more they get (like this for Podland).The Creators FREE webinar from Soundsprofitable. register hereSpotify is testing a tool to record a podcast directly into the Spotify app Spotify to make streaming more social on new ‘community’ mobile app SquadCast The Remote Recording Studio That Your Audience Will Love
- Interview with Ken Miller from Fathom; Spotify buys an AI voice service, Google Podcasts slips up in Pride Month, Sam looks different to what Adam Curry thinksSpecial GuestKen Miller - CTO Fathom New podcast app Fathom, designed for better podcast discovery, has been launched on iOS and in-browser. It promises you can “ask any question and hear answers from your favourite podcasters and their guests.”https://fathom.fm/podcast/podland-newsShow NotesBreaking: Apple Podcasts has published details of how search in its app works. The post includes clarification that ratings and reviews aren’t factored into search results; and that the search function searches the show name, channel name, and episode title. In July last year, Podnews published data showing what metadata different podcast apps use: noting that Apple Podcasts does not search podcast (or episode) descriptions.During Pride Month, Google Podcasts is blocking and hiding some podcast episodes apparently because they use the word 'lesbian’. Transistor’s Justin Jackson has reported Acast to Canadian law enforcement after the company targeted Transistor customers. Acast recently targeted customers from Podbean, Captivate, Blubrry and others, using competitor’s logos, and sending multiple
- Buzzsprout's Alban Brooke tells us all about their new mid-roll ads platform. Spotify describe RSS as “outdated technology." while claiming they will reach one billion listeners by 2030 and generate US$100 billion in revenue.Special GuestAlban Brooke - Head of Marketing at Buzzsprout. Buzzsprout the world’s second largest podcast host, has just formally announced Buzzsprout Ads, letting podcasters buy adverts for their shows (and other podcasters to earn revenue).We’re using them - automatically inserted by Buzzsprout Ads.Show Notes & LinksSpotify had an Investor Day last Wednesday.“Spotify share price slid 55% this year. Daniel Ek said Spotify would grow beyond music, increasing creator tools and moving into audiobooks. This growth, Ek predicted, would take the company to 10 times its current size, with an aim to reach one billion listeners by 2030 and generate US$100 billion in revenue.”Maya Prohovnik said Spotify brought in around €200m ($215m) in podcast revenue last year. Podcasting lost the company €103m ($110m), though is expected to turn a profit within two years.Maya Prohovnik described RSS as “outdated technology”, and said they have been able to replace it for their on-platform distribution. She also claimed that every new Anchor show brings 2.5 new monthly active users to the Spotify platform.iHeart’s Conal Byrne writes for Forbes, promoting the benefit of RSS, which was soundly denigrated by Spotify in their presentation.Bloomberg’s Ashley Carman noted in an entertaining Twitter thread that Joe Rogan was missing from their presentation.Blubrry has emailed its podcast hosting customers that the company is ready to launch programmatic advertising.
- Dave Jones the Pod Sage talks Value4Value, Sats, Lightning Network, WebLN, Alby and using Hive's Podping to build a new Decentralised Cross App Notifications messaging bus.SponsorsBuzzsprout - last week, 3,210 people started a podcast with Buzzsprout Squadcast - Create high-quality audio and video content just using your browser and using Dolby Enhanced Audio Mastering, they’ll sound better than ever.Special GuestDave Jones - Pod Sage from Podcast Index talks about ...Value 4 Value Lightning NetworkWebLNAlby Hive's PodpingPodcast Index new tags <podcast:liveItem> and <podcast:block>Show Notes & LinksOne of podcasting’s largest hosting companies, Megaphone, was down for more than nine hours. All the Spotify-owned company’s audio and RSS feeds disappeared at 8pm Eastern on Monday after a certificate expired. Spotify is conducting research within its app on new features. The company appears to be testing the ability to pay to promote your show, as well as automatically place ads in shows to earn revenue.Descript now supports new workflows that will let you jump to editing in Descript with one click - when recording in @RiversidedotFM or @SquadCastFM, live streaming in @Restreamio, or hosting in @CaptivateAudio EditEddy was launched on Product Hunt. The service makes audio editing simple - upload your spoken-word audio, get a transcript, and then edit your audio by editing the text. Here’s a video demo.
- Scoop Queen Ashley Carman joins us. Apple announces Podcasts Delegated Delivery. No Anchor or Megaphone. Are you team Spotify or team Apple? RØDECaster Pro II leaked. Curiocaster and Podverse support <podcast:liveItem> tag.SponsorsBuzzsprout - last week, 3,282 people started a podcast with Buzzsprout Squadcast - Create high-quality audio and video content just using your browser and using Dolby Enhanced Audio Mastering, they’ll sound better than ever.Special GuestAshley Carman - BloombergShow Notes & LinksJames Cridland Radio Days Europe - RoundupSelling paid subscriptions through Apple Podcasts? Until now, you’ve had to upload that audio separately to Apple; but Apple Podcasts Delegated Delivery was announced yesterday, allowing creators to upload and manage that audio through selected podcast hosting companies when this feature launches in Q3.A number of initial podcast hosting companies have been announced including RSS·com, Libsyn and Buzzsprout; but if you run a podcast hosting company and wish to participate in Delegated Delivery, you’re encouraged to fill out this form. (Memo to Apple: here’s a list)."Interesting that both of Spotify's hosting platforms, megaphone and anchor, arent participating at launch."- Ashley C"Spotify works with third parties to support its subscription offering, too. the only overlap is acast, at least according to the initial partner list. curious if this means there's now additional stratification in podcast world: team Spotify or team Apple "- Ashley CiOS 15.5, iPadOS 15.5, and macOS 12.4 were made available yesterday. This brings annual paid subscriptions within the Apple Podcasts app. We told you last month; you can