Pick Me Up is a podcast about Lyft drivers who are chasing big dreams both on and off the road. Each episode, we’ll meet one of them to find out where they’re coming from. And then, we’ll give them a little — pick me up — to help them get to where they’re going. Pick Me Up is a production of Lyft and Gimlet Creative, hosted by Mariah Smith.
- “I will have won that Grammy”R&B musician Only1Theory wants to go platinum. It’s a dream she’s had since she was a kid, but she took a detour after high school to serve as a combat photographer in Afghanistan. Now she’s back, living in Philly, driving with Lyft, and pursuing her music career head-on. When the promise of a record deal fell through recently, we wanted to connect her with a childhood hero who could share some savvy career advice. Enter: Ashanti! Learn more about your ad choices. Visit podcastchoices.com/adchoices
- “As long as we’re together”After Hurricane Maria hit Puerto Rico, Sam and Jimada moved to New York in search of a new beginning. They’d started getting their feet back on the ground when they had another surprise… a baby on the way! Now, they’re looking for a new home for the two of them and their son-to-be, but finding an affordable place in a new city is hard. We’re there for Sam and Jimada as they make their first decisions about their future as a family. Plus: special guest “The Rideshare Guy” Harry Campbell gives Sam some tips about how to maximize his income while driving with Lyft. Learn more about your ad choices. Visit podcastchoices.com/adchoices
- “I’m gonna own a restaurant!”After years of high stress at a tech company in Seattle, Guy decided he needed to slow down—but not before a major health scare left him feeling vulnerable and depressed. During his recovery, he and his husband sought good food and company at a beloved neighborhood hangout called That’s Amore Italian Cafè. One thing led to another, and soon he was waiting tables there. Now, he’s got a chance to take over the place from the owner and boss. He just has to come up with the funds, and for that, he will need to tap into the support and goodwill of the many other That’s Amore devotees in the community. It’s time for a fundraising bash, and we’re there to pitch in. Learn more about your ad choices. Visit podcastchoices.com/adchoices
- “I want to be out there as a prominent writer”By day, Marcelis is a neighborhood librarian assistant just outside Chicago. But after hours, he loves to write poems, comics, songs — you name it. Ever since the devastating loss of his older brother Marcus a few years ago, Marcelis has been working on a children’s book that is a tribute to his brother’s kindness, sense of humor, and style. Marcelis wants to introduce the book to the world, but he’s not sure how to do it. He hasn’t even shown a draft to his mother. We help him take the first steps. Learn more about your ad choices. Visit podcastchoices.com/adchoices
- “I’ll do whatever it takes for her”Michelle has been her 10-year-old daughter's fiercest advocate ever since Hollie first showed signs of autism and other disabilities as a young child. Hollie loves dolphins, and dreams of being a dolphin trainer one day. Michelle, a Lyft driver in Indianapolis, will do whatever it takes to get Hollie closer to her dream — and to any other goals Hollie wants to pursue. Now, Michelle is working hard to get Hollie in the water with some dolphins for the very first time. And we're there for the meet-and-greet. Learn more about your ad choices. Visit podcastchoices.com/adchoices